Friday, November 21, 2008
Drop Drop Fizz Fizz
The Artist spent the week studying some rocks in her collection. She did streak tests, and scratch tests first. A few days later she was able to conduct an acid test. She used vinegar to test for soft carbonates.
None of her four specimens fizzed with household white vinegar. 

That did not make for a very exciting experiment, so I brought out a clam shell and an oyster shell from the lot she had found on the beach in Florida a couple of years ago. Those both fizzed a bit, to the delight of the Artist and her Engineer side kick in this experiment.
At the end on the instructions, the Artist's book mentions that an adult can conduct a second acid test with diluted HCL. I don't happen to have that handy. But I do have some 12% food grade hydrogen peroxide. It was interesting that the peroxide solution made one of the Artist's rock specimens fizz actively. We did not try the H2O2 on the shells, they were soaking to get rid of the vinegar smell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I had to do a lab like this in Earth Science not too long ago :P
Only one out of the five rocks I had to test actually did anything weird, lol. It smelled like rotten eggs and fizzed a little when i put vinegar on it. Other than that, that lab was kind of boring, lol.
Post a Comment