Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Math Woes

My math woes continue. Math seems to be the least favorite subject for the Artist, as it was for me. I recall first being aware of how much I hated math when I was in fourth grade. The Artist has known of her math aversion for at least as long too.

When we finish the school year I'll be beginning in earnest my search for another curriculum. The A Beka books are great for those for whom math processes are intuitive. That most certainly does not include me!

There is a chance we will go back to the Saxon series, but I also want to thoroughly investigate the Math U See curriculum. I was able to download some placement tests for that program. It will not make the Artist happy to have to take placement tests though. I think I'll wait till our school year is done before I mention them to her.

If only math were as easy to me as symbolic logic. If only...

3 comments:

Presbytera said...

Sometimes when there is an aversion like this, you just have to bite the bullet and make what you have work. Is Rick any help? I'd be glad to help in any way. Math was an easy subject for me.

Nat said...

Ohhhh Saxon is dreadful. I haven't used Math U See, but Harold Jacobs was the most helpful normal mathbook to me.

Though honestly I never found biting the bullet as helpful as developing a more logical and insightful approach. I've never met a math textbook that was helpful in this regard. >_>

I'd recommend the easiest of Martin Gardner's books but that's really logic, not math.

Kim said...

I used Saxon while teaching and tutoring, I really dislike it. We use Math U See and really like it, it has worked for both kids who are very different in their learning style. My ds uses the blocks to help make things make sense for him, my dd never needed them. I don't know that I'm going to continue using them for upper-level math (Algebra and beyond) but I think it's the best program for elementary math.