Monday, August 10, 2009

Kohlrabi

We're getting lots of kohlrabi ripening in the garden now. We've eaten them julienne raw with Italian dressing for a while now. In fact, to the point that Rick and the Engineer will not enjoy any more.

So I went in search of kohlrabi recipes. There has to be a way to serve this cooked, right? I found some ideas, such as scalloped, creamed with herb sauce, slaw salads, and several others. But these are the ones I think will go over best with my family.

I don't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes (go figure!) so I'm improvising.

My first step is to blanch the julienne kohlrabi about five minutes in water with lemon juice added.Next they braised in some butter till they were tender enough to eat pleasantly.
I am not out of burnet and lovage. Rather, I have not heard of burnet and lovage before!

A little search on line told me burnet was an herb with a cucumber flavor. I'm not sure what to substitute for it, because the recommended substitute is parsley. However parsley is also called for in the recipe, so I will be using that already.

Lovage was a little easier to work around. I can use chopped celery leaves as a substitute. That sounds tasty to me, and nutrient rich to boot!Back to the braising. A taste test at this point reminds me somewhat of turnips, but much less harsh and more creamy in flavor. Then I get the idea that this creation might end up with a topping of Parmesan cheese.

By this time I've removed the kohlrabi to a serving dish and begun making a cream sauce in the pan. Before it gets too thick, the parsley and celery leaves go in. After I got this photo I begin stirring in the herbs in, and I was struck with the thought that this will be a very pretty sauce. Am I the only one who thinks about these things -- aside from the pros?Ahh Done! But have I sabotaged myself? The veggie is done and the kids will need to eat in about 20 minutes and I have nothing else prepared. Looks like the rest of lunch will be leftovers.

Playing with a new recipe was fun. With a final taste before serving, I decide against the Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

Gina said...

How did it taste? I can tell you it looks delicious. I love kohlrabi, but I could imagine that too much of any vegetable can get "old".

Marie N. said...

Hi Gina,

The Artist and I loved it, the Engineer thought it was okay, but he refused an offer of seconds.

If cooked too long, the texture will get mushy. So if that is unpleasant for you, that's something to avoid. Otherwise experiment away! It would be good with celery, cucumber, or carrots added in at the braising time too.

Designated Knitter said...

That looks wonderful! I don't know that I've had kohlrabi but looking at your picture makes me want to try it. I've finally hit a stage in my life (50) where I'm ready to try new vegatables! ;) I've learned to like several by roasting them. I'll have to look around for some kohlrabi to try this! Thanks!