Friday, June 20, 2008

Coloring Books

Have you noticed that museum gift shops are often filled with overpriced knick knacks and souvenirs? We certainly have! For some reason though, I always enjoy looking. I maintain a strong suspicion that Rick could easily do without.

When I was a girl, right about the Artist's age I remember Mom finding for me some of the most wonderful coloring books. Two were favorites: a collection of some Elizabethan era and Victorian era royal costumes and one collection of famous ballet dancers in costume. Some, I never got to.

It seems to be in those museum shops where I find the most intriguing coloring books now. Over the years, when I've found a book I thought could fit into the school category, I have tried to purchase it. Buying directly from the publisher does not lead to savings when I only want one or two copies of a book. So I've given myself license to browse away in those gift shops!

I've been saving them for the summers. Today I will bring out Roger Tory Peterson's A Field Guide to Wildflowers Coloring Book (Houghton Mifflin Company) for the Artist. (Note: The cover design has changed since 1982 when this book came out. I guess this is one of the books Mom bought for me that I never got to!) The book has beautiful plates at the beginning and end illustrating the 146 flowers within the pages. The pages themselves have short descriptions usually indicating each plant's native environment and other interesting facts. Another favorite coloring book publisher is Dover. I'll write about some of their books another time.

3 comments:

Lotzastitches said...

What a nice coloring book!

hakucho said...

I always loved coloring books and paper dolls :)
You have quite the collection!

Genuine Lustre said...

I love colorbooks too - and all sorts of art/school supplies. When my oldest kids were little, I had these books -- I think they were called The Anti-Coloring Book series. I think they can be found online.