Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer (School) Typing

We at Homestead Lutheran Academy do not carry a full summer session. The summer activities do have a little school flavor to them however.

The Artist has begun daily work on her first typing tutorial program. This will continue, six days a week, through summer and less frequently once the next school year begins. The hope is that by the time she has to write her next essays and research papers she can begin using a word processor.

Way back in the olden days when I went to high school, typing (on actual typewriters!) was an elective that I took, probably because I considered it the lesser of two evils. I worked hard to earn a poor grade in the class. I am so thankful that I took it, however. When those physical therapy pre-reqs in college didn't work out for me and I became an English major, I had tons of papers to write. Knowing how to use a keyboard, even if I was not particularly quick about it was a blessing. So was the electric typewriter I received as a high school graduation gift.Later, when I began my first writing internship at a local hospital, I found my keyboarding skills were adequate to the task, thanks to that hated typing class.

Rick and I are glad that, so far at least, the Artist is enjoying her typing lessons despite finding them a bit repetitive.

Today is also the first day of swim lessons for my troops. As the sidebar thermometer reads 63ºF and the kitchen thermometer reads 60ºF I am again thankful I found an indoor pool that offers private lessons. The kids came to breakfast in shorts. I had to send them both back to change into long pants before we head to the pool.

No comments: