Monday, January 26, 2009

Not Much Happening

Last post was during a frigid cold snap. It is not quite so cold any more, but the snow is still solidly on the ground. I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my cousin from Louisiana over the summer. We were talking about the winters of our childhood when it seemed the snow fell in December and stayed around until March. There may be a brief thaw, but it was quickly remedied by another 6 - 8 inches of snow.

This winter, it seems the snow is sticking around more than I recall from the past 20 years or so. We usually have some ice build up in right outside our back door, from icicles above. This year, the build up is 4 - 6 inches thick and the salt is not making much of a dent. It is treacherous for little feet to negotiate!

I'm looking forward to everyone feeling healthy again so I can take the kids sledding. We should make the most of the snow -- right? By the end of the week we should be able to go, and I just may remember to bring along a camera.

I've been unmotivated to post lately. The school days are blending together with not much notable going on. I'll mention trying yet another approach in math for the Artist and the conclusion of second grade math for the Engineer.

Knitting is moving along, but the sweater I'm making for the Artist at the moment is rather complicated and it is slow going. When the TV is too distracting or the project is too unwieldy to be portable I seem to slow way down.

I find myself longing for spring more than in past years. In the mean time, The Portrait of Dorian Gray (Wilde), The Sorrows of Young Werther (Goethe) , or The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharpe are giving me plenty to think about. And I'm mostly successful at logging 10,000 steps a day on my pedometer.

No comments: