Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Testing for Life

It is science experiment time at Homestead Lutheran Academy again today. The Artist's astronomy text, How the Universe Works, included this interesting experiment.

I'm slightly irked that we have not been able to finish the last experiment yet! We're still waiting to see Polaris! The rare cloudless nights have been unaccommodating in their cold. The remainder of the nights we have either forgotten to check or it has been cloudy.

But back to today! The Artist braved the cold to retrieve some sand from the sand box. She followed instructions in mixing a different additive into each of three glass jars: salt, baking powder, and yeast. Now they sit in the refrigerator "to imitate the cold on Mars." That one makes me wonder a bit. I'd consider Mars much colder than my freezer, let alone the refrigerator. As the temperature of our Florida room is 15ºF right now, I opted for the glasses to go out there instead. The photo was taken during their brief stint in the refrigerator though.After sitting outside all day, the Artist will bring in her jars and add some sugar water to each one. As I type she is beginning her write up for the experiment and forming her prediction about each jar's response to the sugar-water nutrient. About an hour after dinner she should have some more to write about!

No comments: