Saturday, February 28, 2009

School District Cuts

This week I received the newsletter from my local school district. I believe the Superintendent in my district has a tough road ahead, as well as behind recently, and furthermore, she is doing an admirable job with the less-than-ideal conditions that exist now.

For example, I really do appreciate that I was called to participate in a poll. I, as the mother of elementary school age children, was asked my impressions of school quality, safety, curriculum, texts, district fiscal responsibility, frequency of levy issues on the ballot, teachers and more.

When I spoke with the congenial pollster, I did tell her I home school my children so my impressions are mostly vague and second-hand. She wanted my opinions anyway.

One question was about a levy on the upcoming ballot. I told her that I would vote against the levy. I gave her only one of my reasons, that being the district put a huge levy on the ballot two years ago, saying that if it passed they would not put another new money issue on the ballot for five years. She laughed. Was it because I remembered the promise? Was it because the previous 50 people she spoke with that day told her the same thing? Was it because she thought I may have believed the promise from two years ago? Don't think for a second I thought they would keep that promise. I did think it was an irresponsible and short-sighted thing to say.

Looks like I was right. There will be another huge levy on the ballot in May. The newsletter that officially broke the news to me had something interesting to say about what the future holds if additional funding is not received: "Outdated technology and textbooks mean students will do poorly on standardized tests and be less able to compete in the job market."

That bullet point struck me because I've noticed over the years when I compile the lists of texts and books my children have read each school year several of them were published in the 1950s. There are a few from each decade in between then and now too, but at least three quarters of the books are over 25 years old. I don't think this is detrimental at all, and my school's standardized test scores bear that out.

It is not so simple a problem as to say "Let them use older books," though. The older books owned by the district are probably not books I would choose for my school. They are probably on the list of text titles the district had to choose from when spending money from the state of federal sources. Those strings are a noose.

The superintendent closed her message in the newsletter with word that funds are promised from Washington and Columbus (Ohio), but so far only promises have arrived, not guarantees or dollars. "Therefore, the only real hope our children have is you." (emphasis is mine).

I know this message is intended to garner support for the upcoming levy, but what a shocking statement! It is sad, shocking, downright pathetic, and an ill omen that parent would look to Washington or Columbus before looking to themselves to provide hope for their children.

There are great programs to help people with difficult educational challenges, and I'm thankful they exist. But even considering those circumstances I cannot fathom looking to government first for hope.

3 comments:

Scott said...

How `bout some change then...?

Rick said...

"Outdated technology and textbooks mean students will do poorly on standardized tests and be less able to compete in the job market."

Hey, at least she knows how to use logical fallacies. :-)

Scott said...

Yes, but can she name which one she has employed in this case?