Thursday, February 05, 2009

Waiting for the Stars to Align

Last week the Artist made a device for determining latitude in her science class. All that remains to be done is to locate Polaris through the sighter and take a reading. Enter clouds and extreme cold temperatures.
With the trees barren of their leaves and a sky barren of clouds we can see Polaris from our driveway. It is best if we wait outside until the sensor lights turn off. That's not likely to happen until we get above freezing.

So, while we're waiting the experiment remains mostly finished. Once we take a reading, the Artist will have to go on-line to research our latitude. I don't want her to have a desired result in mind when she used the device. Then she can compare her results to the computer data.

On an unrelated note...
Last week we also bought a case of oranges. These are the most delicious, sweet, fresh, juicy softball size oranges! Rick bought them from an acquaintance selling them as a church fundraiser. The best part is that these cost us way, way less than $1 per piece and I saw smaller oranges for sale in the local supermarket for $.99 each. Yikes! We've been enjoying oranges and orange shakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was browsing this morning for some good Lutheran doctrine and came across a blog linking to HLA, so I thought I would stop by and see what is going on with you.

I just want to say that in this picture of your daughter, she looks just like your mother. I was glad to see her.