Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More Science

Both kids are studying chemistry this year. The Engineer is working with book I of Adventures With Atoms and Molecules. The books (there are two in the set) are full of simple experiments. They do not take too long to read, prepare a write up, conduct or discuss. I'm so pleased with the way they fit the capabilities of a third grader.

For most of the experiments we can go from the initial reading through to writing the conclusion in one class period. It is fun to watch the Artist watch her brother. Almost every experiment I hear her commenting, "Oh! I loved doing that experiment!" or something similar.

Here the Engineer is observing the behavior of two water droplets merging on a sheet of wax paper. Next he observed the way two oil drops behaved when they joined. Finally he noticed the difference when one oil and one water droplet touch on the wax paper. Suddenly, the polarity of water molecules had meaning in his young mind.

The Artist is enjoying her chemistry set. As befits her age, her experiments are a little more complicated. She is working from the booklet that came with her Thames and Kosmos Chem C1000 kit. Several of her experiments can be done is succession, but a few coming up in the next weeks are longer and more complicated.

In addition, she is working with chemicals that require taking some precautions. I told her the way her goggle-strap was playing with her hair, and the paint spatter on her smock made her look like a mad scientist.Here she is adding acids and bases to water with a few drops of the litmus solution she created a few days ago, and noting the changes as they occur.
Both children have always enjoyed science.

2 comments:

Kim said...

We used the Chem C1000 set last year. I really enjoyed it in the beginning but found that many of the experiments in the middle of the book didn't work for us :( I finally gave up on the kit, hopefully it will work better for you!

I never could get into the "Adventures With Atoms and Molecules" books, we never seemed to have what we needed on hand and I hated buying things that we only needed a little bit of.

Marie N. said...

Thanks for the warning, Kim. I'll be on the look out for experiment malfunctions!