Monday, October 12, 2009

Retreat!

Between fishing trips and jury duty and special appointments and a school retreat the last three weeks have been a whirlwind. We did get a good deal of schooling done. More than I expected, in face, although I can't prove it because I accidentally copies over one of the Artist's schedule documents. I guess I'll need to get that glitch worked out before I think about creating transcripts!

Most recently we attended a home school retreat with many of our friends on the campus of the Concordia Ft. Wayne seminary. We left as soon as Rick arrived home after work on Wednesday. By the time we arrived at the dorm all the kids were abed, so it was fast work to get the Engineer and the Artist into bed. We unloaded the car and joined the other adults in some conversation before bed.
Lots of town time for playing and games!

There were many babies in our group this year.


Thursday morning the kids had lots of play time together and we all attended chapel together. After lunch the children participated in a cookie decorating extravaganza.
We were spoiled with lots of wonderful home-cooked meals!


Space was limited to 13 places, so the kids decorated their cookies in shifts.


In the afternoon, we all enjoyed each others talents in one of our group's largest recitals. Children of all ages and some of the parents participated in this most enjoyable afternoon.
The Anticipating Audience!
Thank you for the photo, Barb.

The Engineer plays Fur Ludwig.


The Artist, the Engineer, and their cardboard guitars perform Turkey Love Song.


The Artist plays a version of The Entertainer.


Some members of the Christ Lutheran Church Youth Choir sing.


In the evening the group went to dinner and mass at Redeemer Lutheran church near downtown Ft. Wayne. Afterwords the kiddos drifted to bed and the adults had time for discussion, conversation and hilarity. Midnight mad libs gave us a new running joke about having "puffy fights." I wonder who will be able to work that into the conversation the most between now and the next retreat?

Friday we attended chapel in the morning and attended a professor's lecture about the Order of Creation. I wonder what goes through the professors' minds when they see a room of students ages infant through grandparent filling the chairs in the room. I gave the engineer some paper and told him he could write down anything in the lecture he thought was interesting or important. He raised his hand a few times for questions. (I guess we don't need to worry about how shy he is anymore). He did ask one question I am sure the professor never had to answer in class before, "How do you spell 'Greek'?" After that I moved so I could sit by my son and take care of his spelling questions!

A few years ago someone on the campus taught our group the Lord's Prayer in American Sign Language. This year we had the same lesson again. This time we will need to remember to practice it so as not to forget.

Sign Language instruction.

Signing the Lord's Prayer.

Friday evening we had something new -- a ballroom dancing lesson. We learned the swing and the fox trot. Maybe I shouldn't say I learned the fox trot, because two three days later I don't think I could do it again. But Rick and I had great fun mastering the swing. What fun we will have next time we are on a dance floor!
The gentlemen learn their steps.


The ladies learn their step patterns.


One last review, and cue Music!
Thanks again, Barb!


Putting it all together.

No comments: