Today I'm showing two dolls from my collection. Herman is a little four inch Red Coat soldier from the time of the American Revolution. I don't know why I decided to name him Herman. He has just been Herman as long as I can recall. Likely, it was a suggestion from my mom. He looks to be a model officer with his tricorner hat, powdered wig, lace ruff, big brass buttons and high polished boots.

Herman is one of the oldest dolls in my collection. I don't remember a time when I did not have him on my shelves in my childhood room.
Later on, Grandma was added to my collection.

I bought her when we took a family vacation to Colonial Williamsburg. That would have been some time around 1975 or 1977. I bought her primarily because I loved the lace she was tatting and the beautiful blue of her dress. But I got the small sized souvenir doll rather than a larger one so she would not dwarf Herman! As they are from the same time period I used to display them together.
Sometimes I'd imagine Grandma was forced to quarter Herman. Other times Grandma was a Tory making a gift for Herman's girl back home in England. Still other times, Grandma was an American spy weaving messages into her lace. Do you think General Washington spent much time admiring laces? Well, in my child's imagination he must have!
Here is a close up of Grandma's work table.
4 comments:
You've reminded me that I once had a similar George Washington doll that I got at Mt Vernon. He was about 8 inches high and had a suede tri-corner hat. He was always on my dresser at home, and now I"m wondering what happened to him!
Hi Mossback,
Stay tuned for my next doll photos! Although I promise I did not make off with your George Washington.
What precious relics!
A lace tatting doll...that is so cool :)
Post a Comment