A few days ago an email made its way to my inbox to inform me that
"comments were received by the ODE
which overwhelmingly stated that the Ohio homeschool laws and
regulations were working fine and needed no substantive changes."
Every five years the state's home education laws are to come under review by the department. It seems the home-schoolers who sent comments to the Ohio Department of Education during the comment period of the law review process largely wrote that the law is working fine, no changes are needed.
This means for the next five years, at least, we can expect no substantive changes. The two changes being implemented will remove an obsolete reference to a section of the Ohio Administrative Code and will update the definition of "teacher" to keep in accordance with teacher licensing changes in the state. When I read this news I felt relieved that I would not have to learn a new system, and I was pleased that things would be staying the same.
Then, I reflected upon those feelings. Now I''m still struggling with my ensuing thoughts. We in Ohio had an opportunity to decrease the regulation over home schooling. Now, for another five years, that opportunity has lapsed. I am profoundly thankful that Ohio home school regulation will not be increased. Still, the status quo is a compromise in principals of freedom.
These thoughts were tumbling around in my head while I was preparing a meal. As usual, the radio was on and I heard a newscast. More stuff about McCain. Just the evening before Rick and I had had a discussion about how dangerous we thought Obama's ideas and inclinations were. Even more dangerous than McCain's!
I started the primary season wholeheartedly believing I could not spend my November vote on any of the Republicans. Since then I've learned more about Obama, about Chuck Baldwin, and about Ron Paul, and Alan Keyes. My county's board of elections website has been inaccessible for a couple of days now. So I'm unable to satisfy my curiosity and tell you now which of these third party candidates will actually be on my ballot. I suspect my favorite, Keyes, is not.
The other night, Rick and I talked about how we loathed the idea of holding our noses to vote again. We discussed how far left McCain and Obama were, and how far left the Republican party would move if Obama won, and if McCain won. And we ended up undecided about voting against the worst candidate verses voting for the best available. Oh how we wish NOTA were an option on our ballots. I'm not so willing to compromise this election as I was four years ago.
Why is that? Why am I so willing to accept the status quo with regard to Ohio home schooling laws and regulations? Why do I find myself merely thankful it didn't get worse, when at the same time I'm so resistant to voting for lets just keep it from getting worse in November?
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Compromise only benefits the one who is wrong.
Good luck in your deliberations. Keep the asprin handy.
Post a Comment