Monday, September 22, 2008

Pease Porridge

I remember going through phases with pea soup. There was a time when Mom would make it and I'd stifle a groan. Then I began to enjoy it in small doses. Now, I love the way it makes the house smell and the way it tastes.

Two days ago we had the aroma filling the house. I limited myself to one small bowl as a snack. Last night I let it sit in the refrigerator to thicken.

Yesterday it was delightfully thick. I added a cup of milk and began mixing it in as I intend to enjoy this for my lunch. The tea ball you see at the lower left in there is holding small crumbles of bay leaf. (I'm out of the nice whole leaves.) I should have removed this before I let the soup thicken, but I forgot.

The other ingredients are green split peas, the small remainder of a bag of split chick peas, water, salt, pepper, an onion, and some carrots, and some chopped ham.

It is good hot and good cold, but I think my preference is room temperature. And it never lasts nine days around here!

1 comment:

hakucho said...

I always have to make pea soup when I have a ham bone...even though I'm the only one who likes it :)

Enjoy :)