Friday, July 11, 2008

Math Boy

An excited voice greets me as I tiredly stumble down the stairs in the morning, "Mommy, Mommy! I can do scientific notation now!" And this paper is waved in front of me.
The Engineer explained his work to me, and proudly added, "And I'm almost ready to learn about rounding numbers."

That made me laugh out loud. I don't know what he thinks he did with the top number on the page. Maybe he knows he rounded it down, but it didn't provide him the same thrill as solving other problems.

While the Artist enjoys filling her quiet hours with sketchbook work, the Engineer has earned a book of his own. He has a composition book full of blank lined paper. Many mornings I'll come downstairs to see him working out a problem at the table before I have a chance to set out a breakfast. He doesn't always get it right, but I do admire his ambition.

The day will come when he will be ready for these treasures my brother and I found hiding in our Dad's basement. These three math concept books were published in 1969 by Lerner Publications Company of Minneapolis, MN. My brother, the math major, had vague memories of them from his childhood. I never remember seeing them before!

The Engineer will devour the information when he sees pages like these!

No comments: