Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let Us Have Lettuce

We've been having a lot of lettuce lately and no one is tired of it yet. Salads almost every day, lettuce on sandwiches and burgers, salad for late night snacks, and so on.

Every five or six days I'm going out to the garden to harvest some more. Who knew this is the one veggie that would really take off in my garden? Yesterday I brought in arm load after arm load to wash. Twice I filled my small sink full as I dared with lettuce leaves. After washing I filled four one gallon freezer bags of lettuce waiting for use. There is still a half bag left in the crisper from last weeks pickings. We are all so very pleased that the deer appear to be uninterested in lettuce. I still see their hoof prints in the ground occasionally, but no nibbles noticed. With the way they would scrounge peppers and tomatoes and peas it had become completely worthless to plant those veggies any more. I think it was the rabbits that got to the green beans. They left more for the gardener but did manage to damage a lot of beans.

Next year I do plan to plant more variety again. With the composter working all summer long I should have some nice nutrients to add to the soil. I have more time to think about some sort of fencing protection. In the mean time Rick planted a thought in my mind that has taken hold and flourished, but the harvest, if it ever comes, is a long time in the future:

1 comment:

Presbytera said...

We have not seen any deer this year in our garden -- which consists of 8 tomato plants. Danylle tells me that Dino was the deer/rabbit to her father's garden. When they arrived, there were 27 green tomatoes. When they left, there were 9 green tomatoes. Dino's explanation was that "they just died!" He really meant, he just picked them!