This year I found a book for the Artist's art classes about sculpting,
Hands On Sculpting by Dottie Erdmann.

From the moment it arrived, the Artist was captivated. Earlier this week she began the first few lessons in the book, making a lemon, an apple and a dolphin.
She completed the lemon and reused the clay before I had a chance to get a photo. She did show it to me before she demolished it, and I was impressed. She was more hasty and less careful in shaping the apple, but she did let me photograph it before she turned her attention to the dolphin.

I could tell she was pleased with the dolphin. This is her first work with both a base and armature. She used colored Scupley for the base, some large nails for armature and white Sculpey for the dolphin. She shaped the animal beautifully, and adorned her base with some small pebbles and a seashell.

After the work cooled, the Artist brought out her paints. Here, he has only a first coat, so there are still some white spots showing through, but you get the idea.

Another thing I love about the book is that is gives the baking times and temperatures to use if you are working with Sculpey.
The Artist is really enjoying Sculpey. It is a step or two up from the modeling foam she had used last year. But even in that medium she impressed us with Bumble Bee,

Girl with Life Jacket & Inner Tube,

Girl at the Beach,

and Desert Snake.

My favorite of all these modeling foam sculptures is the snake at the desert oasis. Unfortunately, the cactus he is curling around suffered a major injury and was lost.
1 comment:
I need to get my hands on some modelling clay -- what fun!
Post a Comment