Wednesday, December 12, 2007

At Long Last

Years and years I've been wanting and waiting for a pair of nice dress boots. As a young child, back when they were called fashion boots, it was a no-go with my parents.

As a teen I don't really remember the need being as strong. Nearly every day I went downtown, by bus, for ballet class so I wanted and needed warm walking boots more than footwear that completed a look.

When I got married I bought a beautiful pair of western boots. Because I never wore them for farm work they were suitable for dress boots and they served me well for a while. But when I had my children, I outgrew them.

Then there were the years of having to carry car seats and diaper bags, small children growing into toddlers and preschoolers -- all reasons not to bother with dress boots. For several years I wore sturdy pairs of mom-boots. The type equally good for shoveling out the driveway and carrying a toddler, a diaper bag, and purse on my left arm while holding my shopping list and another child's hand in my right (because if I don't write it down I'll never remember and because if I'm going to make this effort I darn well want to get it all done in one trip!).

In hopes that I can leave carrying small children behind me for a while, I ventured to buy myself a pair of dress boots -- at last! I found a pair I liked and tired them on. Very nice. It felt really good to wear a pair of real heels again. Too bad I had about 35 cents in my pocket.

A couple of weeks later I had a moment to stop back into the store and voila! my size was still in stock. I wore them home that day. Rick happened to have the day off. He noticed that I had grown taller when I got home from my errands. And he liked my new boots too.

7 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Mom boots - LOL. Ah yes, it's time to get your groove back. Those look like you.

Kim said...

Those are really nice looking!
I have a pair of boots bought a few years ago that I love. I only get to wear them a couple times a year but I really enjoy it when I do :)

Anonymous said...

Are those the ones you wore on Sunday? They looked nice on you.

-Danylle

hakucho said...

Beautiful boots! Glad you were able to get them. I had a pair back when I was in college, but once I became a mom I never wore them. They were taking up too much space in my closet so I gave them away.
I know exactly what you mean about mom boots. Those are the kind I wear now :)

Gina said...

Lovely! It's so amazing to find a good pair of boots that are fashionable with a nice fit. Good for you.

Jane said...

I like those. :)

A pair of black boots has always been a necessity for my winter wardrobe. I wear them almost every day. During the pregnant/little child toting years I wore flat-ish riding boots.

This year I needed to replace the pair that I had fpr the past several years and I had such a hard time!

But I did finally find a pair a couple of weeks ago. (It would be easier if I dropped a few pounds. My calves have gotten big. :( )

Anonymous said...

shoot! i didn't even notice...
:o/