Friday, December 21, 2007

Was Sein Dies?

A few months ago Dad asked for help re-organizing his linen closet. While going through the items we found some lovely treasures, antique lace tablecloths with matching napkins and such. There were also a number of unmatched sets of dinner or luncheon napkins, doilies and table runners, and some mystery objects.
I found these two hand embroidered, counted cross stitch envelopes. I do not ever remember seeing these little envelopes before, nor does my Dad. The envelopes bear my great- grandparents' initials. My great-grandparents came to America from Germany just over 100 years ago. I think these must have has some special significance, or Mom would not have kept them. A few weeks ago, I saw something similar on Mumintroll's blog, but I was unable to comprehend the details in German about her photo.

I admire the picot edged ribbon stitched to the outside edges of the fabric. I would love to know what these are called! Are they Christmas items? And what was their purpose? I'd like to tell my children about them.

4 comments:

hakucho said...

My great-grandparents immigrated here from Germany (Eppenbrunn) around the time of the turn of the century. We don't have anything like your embroidered envelopes. At least I haven't found anything yet. I'm curious too to know what they're used for. It's so nice to have heirlooms from the past. Priceless :)

happy holidays :)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

If you're talking about her post from November 18, it is an envelope to hold letters. She doesn't actually talk a lot about it, just how much she loves it and thanking the person who made it.

Anonymous said...

I was trying to find mine but could not find it... I remember having white envelope with cut outs and white work on it. I think it belonged to DH's Grandmother who was born in 1800's and if I remember right, it was used to hold combs.

Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com said...

They look like hankie holders to me. It used to be common to have something similar to this to contain freshly laundered and ironed handkies, to keep them from getting wrinkled until time to carry one.