Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas Sweater

A new sweater for the Engineer Was completed late Saturday night and was set out to block. This morning, it is almost dry. If the Engineer looks a wee bit uncomfortable it is because he is not used to wearing sweaters that are still a bit damp in the back. I am thrilled with the way the sweater came out and with how quickly this pattern knitted up with my only change being color scheme and ribbing in K1 P1 instead of K2 P1. But I also have made some notes to keep in mind next time I use this pattern for help it fit even better. The Back to School Pullover is the third pattern in the top row of this link.

The kids came home from a weekend with their grandparents to find the Jesse tree and the advent wreath in the dining room. We have the non-traditional advent wreath this year because I thought I had purple candles. I went to my candle drawer and found three ridiculously stumpy purple candles that begged to be put in the trash. Next to them I had several new pink candles, and here we are...Sunday afternoon was dedicated to swatching for the Artist's sweater. I got out my calculator and did all the measurements and math required to reduce an adult size pattern to fit her. I also got started with my cast on and knitted until I realized I had once again twisted my yarn while joining in the round. Drat!

Next time I cast on straight needles and knit a couple of the beginning rows before transferring to the circular needles. This worked much better for me, and I used the little tail to sew closed the three rows I had worked on the straight needles.

But getting any actual knitting accomplished yesterday was doomed. After I had knit about three inches there was a knot in the ball of yarn making an unnatural join between the bright pink and the white. So I cut the yarn and rejoined at a more natural place in the color scheme. I made a terrible join and I grew increasingly unhappy with it every time I passed that place knitting the next several rounds. So before I went to bed I rewound the whole thing.

My big hang-up with beginning this project was getting through all the math and measurements. Now that those parts are done, I am eager to proceed. Before I cast on again I'll knit a swatch of the edging on the pattern (see it here). I could have been happier with the yarn overs in the lace edging and I could use some practice to get just just the look I'm after.

In my knitting marathon weekend I did not get lesson plans printed for the kids this week. On Wednesday, the Artist has a Latin final going beck to second semester last year. Her time will largely be dedicated to studying for that. I made a giant stack of flash cards for her to learn.

The Engineer and I will go through a few subjects then start some house cleaning. Won't he be thrilled!

4 comments:

hakucho said...

Your son's sweater is handsome and he looks very handsome in it :) You really knit that one up fast didn't you? I wish I had your talent for knitting sweaters that are not only beautiful...but fit :)

happy knitting :)

Lotzastitches said...

Love your son's sweater!

I checked out the link to your daughter's pattern. Oooo...very pretty!

Anonymous said...

He is really looking grown up since I saw him last. Can't wait to come visit!

Gina said...

The sweater came out so well, and the color and shape is so flattering to The Engineer. I hope he enjoys wearing it!