Friday, November 30, 2007

Science Lab

I am happy that with regard to home schooling I am not a pioneer. I'm thankful for the friends and acquaintances I have sharing this adventure. And lately I've been most thankful for friends with children much older than mine who thought of me when they made room for college books on their shelves.

We were generously given a microscope set a few years ago. And this week, for the Artist's science experiment, she got to use it for the first time.

First her experiment instructed her to drop a drop of iodine on a potato. If it remained yellow-orange there would be no starch present. It turned a vivid blue-black instantly. She watched the inky blob expand across the surface of the potato under her magnifying glass.Next, we took a scraping from the potato, prepared a slide, and looked into the microscope world. We both look forward to many interesting science labs in the future.

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

My boys would love to have one of these around!