Monday, November 12, 2007

Two Necks and a Sleeve

No, I have not made an unusual biological transformation overnight.

I am trying to complete a summer sweater, and I'm having to re-do some of the finishing. The sweater fits beautifully in the length and it has just the right amount of blousing.

After sewing the side seams and shoulders, the instructions tell how many stitches to pick up for the neck. I thought the number for my size seemed a little big, so I picked up the number for one size smaller and finished the neck. Then came the telling moment when I tried on the garment in front of a mirror.

Yikes! The neckline didn't look at all like the model in the book. It came out as a low, but not too low scoop neck instead. How did this happen? I decided I could live with it, but I had hoped it would have been more like the photo accompanying my pattern.

On to the sleeve. When I had the sweater on I noticed the arm holes were on the larger size. So I decided to pick up the number of stitches for a size down on the sleeve too. As the sleeves are only one and three quarter inches at their longest point and one inch at the shortest point, it was not a long time until the sleeve was done.

Back to the mirror...oh no! Still too big. Now I had a neck and a sleeve I was unhappy with,so I spent the rest of the evening ripping them both back. Thankfully, Berroco's glace ribbon yarn cooperated fairly well with undoing a bind-off.

Now the garment was back to needing a neck and two sleeves. On Sunday evening I had the opportunity to get the neck going again. I did a little math and found the number of stitches I would need to go two sizes smaller than before. This time it knitted up nicely and I am very pleased with it.

I'll tackle a sleeve again neck time I knit, probably this evening. This time I'll try to making the sleeves two sizes narrower than before.

1 comment:

hakucho said...

Of course I'm reading your post backwards. Now I really appreciate your finished shell. I don't think I could have done all the reformulations. Good for you... it turned out great :)