Thursday, July 23, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini

This is my favorite zucchini meal. Mom used to make it, but not very often as my brother was not a fan. I do not make it often, because it is best made with some of the mid-size home grown zucchinis, not the little skinny ones stacked in mounds in the produce markets.

I don't know the weight of these zucchini, but here is how they look on a 10-inch dinner plate. Once prepared, these will serve four for lunch. For dinner I'd probably make a side dish to accompany.
Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Wash the zucchini and cut off the ends. Cook whole in boiling salted water about 5 minutes.
Remove zucchini from water and cool till you can handle it. Slice in half lengthwise. With a spoon (I use a grapefruit spoon so the serrations help me) remove the meat from the shells. I leave about a quarter inch of flesh on the skins to make the shell.
The meat and seeds that have been removed are then chopped, grated, pureed, or otherwise processed into tiny pieces. To the zucchini meat add 3 beaten eggs, fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, 2 cups breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup minced onion, a little garlic, and one cup of grated cheese. For the cheese, cheddar and Swiss work, but Parmesan is best in my opinion. Today I used cheddar. This mixture is then piled into the zucchini shells. The look like little canoes heaped with treasure to me. Lightly grease a baking pan and arrange the shells inside. Bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes, until the tops are browned.The kids and I enjoy these when Rick is not home. The Engineer and the Artist give this meal a thumbs up and an "It's good."

1 comment:

Designated Knitter said...

That looks SO good! I'm keeping my eye out for suitable candidates for stuffing.....