Friday, July 31, 2009

Romeo and Juliet

Last night the family went to see the Ohio Shakespeare Festival's Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoy their traditional Shakespeare, with an outdoor stage under the stars on the lush grounds of Stan Hywet Hall.Photographs are prohibited during the play, but I did get a snapshot of the traveling minstrels coming towards the stage. About a half hour before the show, the cast, parades to the stage playing instruments and singing.
They treated us to three songs and some banter which included an actor uttering the name of the Scottish play (Gasp!!!) which then necessitated a quick parody of that same Scottish play to be performed. My favorite part of the parody was the commercial for "Damn Spot Remover." Well done, folks!

Some friends joined us, making the evening even more fun.The Artist and Engineer on the Japanese bridge in the gardens.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I just read (somewhere!) that Paris would have made a better spouse for Juliet, and that the "star-crossed" love was not the main theme of Romeo and Juliet. What do you think?

Marie N. said...

I liked both the Paris and Romeo actors. From what I could see either of them could have had either role. Maybe the director casted as he did based on experience? We will never know.

I'm not sure why the star-crossed love would not be the main theme, unless more emphasis is placed on the impulsive nature of the two lead characters. A 14-yo who elopes with some 18-ish yo from the enemy family is off-the-deep-end impulsive!