Friday, February 23, 2007

Ahhhh Florida!

The first day I took the children out and about for more than filling the gas tank was Tuesday. It was a lovely, sunny morning, and after dinner Monday night the Quipper had driven me past our Tuesday destination so all was well. We saw dire predictions for snow, wind, snow and more snow back home, donned our shorts and shorts sleeves, and piled into the van.

Oh yes, the van. The one with the dead air conditioner which we decided to wait until spring to fix. Yes, that is an asthmatic child in the car seat in the back. Palm trees in parking lots do not provide a lot of shade. Still, it was not too bad. Fort Lauderdale temps were in the mid 70º's F (23.5 º C) and it could have been much worse.

We were off to Flamingo Gardens! The park was beautiful and it had a lot to offer to satisfy a five year old, a ten year old, and an adult. This turned out to be my best pick of the week. We saw and learned about all kinds of animals as we walked the park.

Click any photo to enlarge the view. There were many kinds of owls. Most of them were huddled in their nest boxes as it was a bright day. The barn owls photographed the best. In my close up these iguanas are easier to spot than they were at the park! They are on a bough overhanging the everglade pond, home to the wading birds on the placard below.

A majestic bald eagle pair... There was a golden eagle pair that I did not get good shots of too. Water turtles and box tortoises:
And a peacock calling loudly and trying to impress a hen. And, the park namesakes: In the center of the park is the flamingo pond. Approximately 20 bright pink flamingos live here and every day scores of white ibis from outside the park crash the party for easy meals.


The kids just finished feeding this guy. The guide who gave us the kibble called him Big Boy when she lured him toward us. I think he is trying to decide whether or not the camera is an extra large piece of chow!
Wow--he let me get a close up!
Later, on the tram ride, we learned about all kinds of trees and plants as well. Here's a sampling of what we saw:A banyan tree: Giant blossomsDrat! I did not get the name of this tree. This single tree has huge roots that must give great shelter to wild critters. Bamboo! I love all my bamboo knitting needles, and I am most pleased with the bamboo cutting board I bought a few months ago. I have not tried bamboo yarn (yet). I enjoy bamboo shoots in my stir fry, which I'm rather unsuccessful at eating with my bamboo chop sticks. And the plant is beautiful to boot. I really like this photo.
And a few fun shots for the kids:

2 comments:

Kirken said...

You have some great pics there. I'm happy to hear that you had a safe trip and had a good time on it. Looking at your pics and hearing about your trip the kids should have learned alot about things and would have had a really great time. :-) Some time you should look at bringing the kids to Drumheller, AB. to see the dinosaurs. My parents took the boys there last summer while I was in school in Calgary and they had a blast. There are so many things to do there. I just have a problem with the dating of things and evolution, if you know what I mean.

Jenny said...

That looks like a wonderful place to spend a day. You must have felt like you were on another planet going from winter to summer weather so quickly.