Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Settling In

On Monday we were settled into the hotel and the Quipper had to go into the office. The kids and I would be on our own during the day. Most museums are closed on Monday so I did not plan anything spectacular for this day. The kids did school work and read their books and played their games. You are probably just as excited to read that as they were to do it.

I also relished in 'nothing to do' for a while and kept a close eye and ear on the Engineer who had not had an easy time of it lately with yet another asthma attack leading to our morning-of-departure trip to the Emergency room and all. Thankfully, the new climate did not seem to have any adverse effects on him.

I took out the knitting that I had thrown into my bag at the last minute (literally) before we pulled out of the driveway. I hoped I had enough supplies to do something! I had this pattern for toe-up socks with me and some light green Bernat Denimstyle yarn that was a gift from Polly at Favorite Apron. (Thank you!!)

Mostly I swatched to figure out if I could work a project from the things I brought with me. As it turned out, I could. Over the next week I taught myself the figure eight cast on and began the pair of Milanese Lace Socks. I did not take pictures as I went along, but here is what they look like now. Since we got home I have only completed about four rows on each.

I usually prefer to work socks with five needles. With the lace panel being on only half the sock at this point it is simpler to keep to four needles. After the heel the lace pattern will be all around the ankle and I hope to go back to five needles.




In the afternoon I took the kids to the rooftop pool at the hotel. Gee, that linked photo was taken on a cloudy day as were the pool photos I took on Thursday. The first few times we swam it was beautiful and sunny, or warm but dark with early evening.
Of course, those times I did not bring the camera.


There were some neat views from the 9th floor roof top too, but with the cold front bringing in thick clouds these do not do justice.




But the weather was perfect for a nice sit in the sauna! The Artist got to experience this for the first time while an envious mom watched through the door with the Engineer!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Those socks look great! It must be difficult to settle in again, but being home and having a routine has it's merits as well.

Anonymous said...

I really like the patterning on the front of the socks. Very pretty.