Monday, February 26, 2007

First Communion & Choir

Wow time flies. Nearly 10 years ago our daughter was born. This past Sunday she began classes in preparation for her first communion. Typically, this happens later in Lutheran churches than in Roman Catholic congregations. And in Lutheran churches it typically happens after the rite confirmation, similar to many protestant churches. I suppose we are different in many ways.

As I was reading over the paperwork from the class yesterday, I noticed I have already heaped some mom-guilt upon myself. I read that at least one parent is to attend the class with their child. Oops.

Sunday while my daughter was in class I was watching over the icy parking lot to help some of the older folks in the door and participating in the adult class (Podcasts are available via the red and blue CLC Radio button in my sidebar). Okay, next Sunday I will be with her in the classroom.

I checked with the teacher to get some feedback on behavior, knowledge base, participation, etc. The teacher seemed quite pleased with the entire class and commented that each student was well prepared. The news was ear-tickling, but I do believe the teacher would be honest and tell me news I'd rather not hear if it would benefit my daughter.

Children's choir is new for the Engineer. He is reading well enough to keep up with slow-paced songs. Here his sister, a choir veteran, has left her chair to kneel at his side and help him as the choir goes through a song for the first time. We figured the repetition of all the rehearsals would help him memorize the words so he would not need to rely on reading for quicker tunes. And he was receptive to the idea! It is one more way to get him interacting with other kids, and hopefully tolerating noise.

Come to think of it, I have noticed the noise he makes does not seem to bother him. Lately he has been pretending to be a scary fire-breathing dragon. A very noisy one at that.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

What, us different? ;)

Don't feel too badly, Marie. I didn't know about an adult needing to attend the class until just now reading your post!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Time flies, I suppose. My eldest one keeps asking when she can be confirmed. When she was a wee babe I couldn't imagine a time when she would be old enough to take communion.