I just love it when we just finish studying insects in science class and we come home from Latin in time to spy a grasshopper digging a hole in a wide crack in the asphalt with her dorsal and ventral valves and laying eggs in the exposed dirt.
She was one of the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen. Her body was beautifully colored and she was doing a delicate balancing act employing five of her six legs, one didn't reach the ground from atop a pebble.
After the excitement is over and we come inside it leads me to find websites like this field guide to help drive the knowledge home.
Best of all I hear statements like "That made my day!" from the Artist.


2 comments:
what great timing! glad you didn't run her over. we have seen a lot of grasshoppers in our day, but never any laying eggs.... I wonder when they will hatch? I am guessing spring!? :o~ You should mark that spot keep watch and keep that camera handy! :)
Wow...that grasshopper is huge!!! The ones around here are tiny. Very interesting!
Post a Comment