Monday, October 20, 2008

Artist at Work

This year for her art classes the Artist has a coloring book of classic paintings she is to use. I like that it has biographical information about the artist and the work depicted.

I do wish the book also had color plates of the works, however. As it is, the Artist is looking up the work in question on the internet and using the information there as a guide for how to color. Now, for example, she is working on a detail of The Battle of Constantine by Piero Della Francesca. This site, which shows this picture, has been most helpful to her:Still, it is very painstaking work to get all those horses legs colored the right colors in the black and white line drawing she has to work with they all jumble together. As much as she is enjoying the coloring book, I think she gets more joy from the sculpting book she works with on her second art day of the week. Art class is saved for the end of the school day to her her relax, enjoy and get rid of some stress. She worked on this goldfish project for a couple of hours. I continue to be amazed and the things she can shape. I fall so short in this area, I can't imagine making the things she makes.

3 comments:

Lotzastitches said...

Wow! Nice art work! Love the fish!

Gina said...

Great sculpture!

Designated Knitter said...

Wow! I'm with you - I fall so short in this that I find her sculptures quite amazing!