Friday, October 24, 2008

Fossils

In Earth Science class we have been reading about fossils. The Engineer showed a mild and fading interest in the topic. I think part of that is due to the fact that science is the last subject we come to in the day. By the time we get there, he is usually quite ready to be done with school.

To spur his interest a little I got out my old rock collection. I happen to have a beautiful wee sand dollar preserved in rock. You can see how tiny it is by comparing the sand dollar to the ring on my finger.

The fossils the Engineer made were less dramatic. Still, he was fairly excited to do the project because I started out by showing him some fossils his sister had made when she was in second grade. She had pressed some sea shells into modeling foam and let the foam dry holding the imprint of the shell.

The Engineer selected some different shells from those his sister used and made his own fossils.

No comments: