I noticed they had begun to grow roots and scraggly yellowish leaves on top. It was time to do something. One carrot was bad, but the rest were in good shape. I cleaned them up and sliced them and steamed them.
As it gets cooler outdoors and as I need to become more resourceful and creative with the food budget I've had a lot of soups on my mind. A few years ago I was served cream of carrot soup at a friend's house, so I gave it a try.
After the carrots were steamed soft I put them in the blender with a cup of milk. Meanwhile I sauteed a small onion in some butter. I had no chicken stock in the freezer so I added some bullion instead. (The water would come later). Then I combined the onions, whipped carrots, and added a little more milk in the pot. Last I began to boil some brown rice in the water used to steam the carrots.
In hindsight, I should have used white rice. It would look nicer. The rice and water were added into the soup after the brown rice began to soften. At the end I tossed in a handful of white rice to add a little more bulk to the soup.
The color is fantastic!


2 comments:
That carrot soup looks delicious -- break out the crusty bread!
You are very resourceful! Your soup looks yummy :)
Post a Comment