Monday, September 25, 2006

A Brave Man (and some knitting)

It takes a brave man to teach his daughter to be a Browns fan. These two are watching at the time when the Browns were winning, which was most of the game. In the last 30 seconds of the game, they lost.

But hey--next week they are favored in Oakland.

While they were watching the game I burrowed into my stash of acrylic yarns and dove into some new skeins of yarn given to me by my friend Die Steppdecken des Quilter. I learned from my as-yet-bloggless friend at church (Hi! I'm not sure if you would want your name mentioned, so I did not!) that her children's' school is collecting winter scarves to give to children in the city who have had to do without. She gave me the specifics about what size to make them, and she gave me a quick tutorial on how to make fringe. Then I happily set about the task. Most of my stash was left over from crafts with the children or knitted doll clothes, therefore not large enough to use in any garments I was inclined to make. Some of the lovely colors I got from Die Steppdecken will help make these scarves more appealing!

So far, I have three scarves completed and a fourth begun. Once again, I could not stick to a simple plan, so I've had to make each of them a little different in the pattern. The pink scarf and the light blue one seen here are close to the same. The pink has one knit stitch at the edge of the stockinette body and the light blue has two knit stitches setting off the stockinette center. The dark blue scarf is only about half completed in this photo. It is entirely k2, p2, ribbing. On size US 15 needles with three strands of worsted weight yarn held together, it makes for a warm and snuggly scarf. If I had larger needles, I'd use them, but these are the largest of my collection. The fourth scarf is different. In pink and greens, it tends to stand out so I am giving it a more special shape. I cast on three stitches . On the third row I increased to 5, on the 5th row I increased to 7, and so on up to 11 stitches. There is a two stitch knit border with the center in stockinette. When this one is done I'll put a tassel on each end.

On my screen the pink in this photo is looking a little garish. It is a dusty rose color that appears better in person.

9 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I'm sure every kid who gets one of those scarves will love it!

Rick said...

Marie, the Little Sisters of the Poor would be favored against Oakland. :-)

Marie N. said...

Quipper, the Browns are only favored by 1.5 points. Perhaps we have some Little Sisters on the team already.

Anonymous said...

marie!! these are great!! and such patterns!! i'm afraid i have been very boring on my last several just knit knit knit. the first ones are a little fancier though, thanks so much for helping out with this project.

Anonymous said...

I think the scarves are great...you know, thousands of miles away I'm knitting scarves for charity...I am nowhere near as fast as you though! Your fingers must be a blur! Did you know there's a competition fo the World's Fastest Knitter?

Marie N. said...

Hi Romans828,

I'm glad you like them! As I continue I'm left with smaller balls of yarn and I'll have to make some striped scarves. Yesterday I completed a pink, yellow and white scarf that is about six inches short of a yard because I ran out of pink! It could suit a toddler, though.

Hi Plain and Simple,

I don't think I'd qualify as a fast knitter. I'm using huge needles (UK 000) and only 10 stitches per row. With that in mind, 90-92 cm builds up pretty quickly.

Are you making scarves for boys, girls, or to be worn by either? I'm trying to keep equitable here and make the same number in masculine colors as in feminine colors.

Genuine Lustre said...

You're knitting your way to a place in heaven, Marie. : P

Btw, I decluttered my stash and threw out all acrylic ( remember, I"m a wool snob). I have about 6 nice full skeins of microspun - lime, purple and black - I know you like this yarn and wondered if you'd like to have it?
Will drop in the mail if so.

Genuine Lustre said...

You're knitting your way to a place in heaven, Marie. : P

Btw, I decluttered my stash and threw out all acrylic ( remember, I"m a wool snob). I have about 6 nice full skeins of microspun - lime, purple and black - I know you like this yarn and wondered if you'd like to have it?
Will drop in the mail if so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie

I'm just using up my stash - I have a lot of red and green, so for both boys and girls.