Friday, September 01, 2006

Some Of My Favorite Things

Well, some of my favorite old books anyway.

Nursery Tales Children Love, The Platt & Munk Co., Inc., 1933. Dad would adopt different voices for the different characters when he read to me. I don't know how this book came to me, but my parents read it to me when I was little.





The Treasure Book of Best Stories, The Saalfield Publishing Company, 1932. A very special vintage gift to my daughter for Christmas 1999. This book belonged to a kind, dear gentleman when he was a child. It includes some stories I had not heard before.




The Real Mother Goose, Rand McNally & Co., Chicago, 1968. This is another childhood favorite which I remember mom reading to me while I sat on her lap. She had a brilliant way of stressing the meter of the poems. As this is a copy from the fifty-second printing it is not so vintage. I wonder what the first, 1916 edition looked like.



The Aesop for Children, Rand McNally & Co., Chicago, 1947. Childhood readings from this book always included a brief discussion of the moral. I'm so glad I came across a second copy of this book. The one in the photo belonged to my dad when he was a boy and has an ex-libris plate with his name typed onto it. The other copy is in much better shape. It was purchased at a library book sale. What a pity it was not well used. I'll pass each of my children a copy for use by future generations.

This book, too, leans less toward the vintage category and more toward a favorite. What People Wore: A Visual History of Dress, The Viking Press, New York 1971, is a historical survey of costume from ancient times to 20th the century. The author is Douglas Gorsline.



Each engraved plate is labeled with the year and nationality. It also has several detailed plates of footwear, hair styles and hats (my favorite).






Neues Singvögelein, (tr. Little Sparrow Songs) does not have and publishing information left. It does have a stamp on the inside cover saying "WEIHNACHTSGESCHENK für" (tr. Christmas gift for:) and "Lelura Freubl, 1930" is artfully scripted in nineteenth century, fountain pen script.



The book is filled with hymns, many of which we sing in their English translations in my church. There is old German gothic typeface throughout the book.







Last, today, I have Schillers' Wilhelm Tell, D. C. Heath & Co., Boston, USA, 1907.






Robert Deering, a professor of Germanic Languages at Western Reserve University, (now Case Western Reserve University) wrote a n introduction in English and made the tale into a play.





This book has lovely engravings as well. But it is printed with the gothic characters making it a great effort to read. The last 80 pages before the bibliography are a great resource -- a glossary and vocabulary reference!

5 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I had The Real Mother Goose as well! I have seen What People Wore mentioned often among those interested in fashion history. Thank you for sharing those with us!

Amy said...

I love old books, and these all look very interesting!

Jane said...

I love old books! I may have to see if I can find What People Wore for Bethany. She would love it.

Genuine Lustre said...

This is a sweet post Marie. I might have to copy.

Marie N. said...

Polly, Be my guest! What are your favorites on your shelves?