My MIL turned 60 this week. Tomorrow we're having her birthday dinner at my house. She requested beer-soaked ribs with my homemade barbecue sauce. No problem!Grandma prefers chocolate cake and purple is her favorite color. Her Grand daughter, the Artist, wants to be a baker some day. Sounds like I will not have to make the birthday cake this year!
My Artist has been doing a little baking here and there by herself. This will be her first birthday cake. A couple of years ago, the Artist visited a bakery for a school field trip. The owner brought her back to the kitchen and showed her all the mixers, walk in coolers, rotating ovens, etc. She was thrilled! While she was there, the icer was working on a glamorous wedding cake. He showed my little one how to control the flow of frosting through a tube and how to write with frosting. She came to the bakery counter carrying an upside down tray, grinning from ear to ear. She had written her brother's name in frosting on the bottom of the tray.
It has been a long time since my little baker has had any practice with the frosting. I thought this would be as good a time as any to let her be creative and I bought some colored frostings.
My frosting tube is difficult for me to work with, so I spent the extra $1.19 for the decorator tips. I couldn't get away with buying just purple frosting. The next birthday cakes coming over the next months in our family will have writing or flowers or some kind of designs on them too.I found the most fascinating cakes while looking for a nice photo to add to this post. You can see them at www.CrumbsofParis.com.
Breaking News...



3 comments:
It's good for kids to have an interest like that, even if the Artist doesn't grow up to create cake art. She must be feeling better, and that's A Good Thing.
Thank you for stopping by my blog, glad you enjoyed it. Happy Birthday to your MIL - I was 60 earlier this month too. The birthday cake is beautiful.
That's the kind of "help" my two year old gives too!
Post a Comment