I have a favorite old sweater. Actually it is not that old -- only two years. It was one of those "exactly-what-I-wanted!" gifts the Quipper gave me for my birthday. Unfortunately, I chose an item of very poor quality. What I loved most about it was the color scheme and the fit.To my dismay I found last year that it was becoming threadbare -- already! You can see my hand through the fabric very easily.
And the sleeves are full of repaired pulls and more holes left unrepaired.
I made a mental note not to buy any chenille yarns. They are soft and pretty with their slight luster, but I was so disappointed with the way this sweater was falling apart.Now I have a batch of yarn that is not in the same color scheme, but it has a nice luster and it drapes very much like the old beloved garment. I'm talking about leftovers from the Artist's new intarsia sweater. I can't carry off all those colors, but I can a few of them. I'll leave the orange, lime, and hot pink to her!
Last night I carefully measured one of the panels of the old sweater, noted my gauge, and made a bunch of calculations and drew a diagram somewhat approximating a pattern. So far, so good:
I do not know how to crochet, so I will leave off the crocheted border at the neckline, hem and side vents. I will also use a mattress stitch to seam the panels and see how it looks before I decide on adding the decorative cross-hatches seen on the original in navy blue. The original used six colors and I have only four, so another trip to the craft store may be in order. There is a shade they call Mocha that I'm crazy about.
After the new garment is assembled, or mostly assembled, I may investigate knitted on borders. There are tons of them that I have glanced at in books but not even read about yet.


4 comments:
I concur! Such a funky sweater must be restored!
Plato was right: Necessity IS the mother of invention.
That's a great idea - using a favourite sweater as a pattern. I know how to crochet but don't remember how to knit, lol! Crochet is easy though. I bet you could find an online tutorial and figure out how to do the stitch pretty quickly.
I think this is a great idea. Are knitters mathematical creatures do you think? Re: knitted on borders. Nothing is easier, but my advice is to use a needle one size down to pick up your stitches - especially if your tension (guage??) is a bit loose.
I don't know how to crochet either, so if you do find a tutorial, let me know!
Hi Plain and Simple,
I would not classify myself at mathematical. If my brother is reading this, he will smirk at the idea in fact!
I recall being frustrated with math as early as fourth grade.
Geometery and symbolic logic were 'easy as pie' when I was in school. But when numbers are tossed into the equation, my brain switches off.
Post a Comment