They brought out the sleeping bags and pillows, and the Artist made some beds. Then she brought out some water bottles, flashlights and games. The Quipper made a trip to the corner store for some snacks, and I raided the pantry for the bag of his favorite pretzels I recalled being stowed down there.
It was already getting a little chilly at night and the Engineer does not yet have a sleeping bag, so he stayed in with me. But during set up and photo time he got to play around in there a little.
I think next year he will be looking forward to sleeping in the tent too. I love camping like this, because I can still sleep in my bed and access my kitchen.
We realize this back yard camping will not satisfy the Artist's yen for adventure much longer. But for now it does, and by the time next summer comes around the Engineer will be a little older and a little more flexible (we are always working on this). Next summer we will likely make a two-day, one-night trip out to a campground some where.And good news -- no deer in the gardens on the night the tent was up!


8 comments:
This looks like so much fun! Our kids have been begging us to take them camping. They should be old enough to have fun next year, but I'm pretty nervous about the bears (there are a lot of them around here!). Sleeping in a tent doesn't feel very safe to me, but an RV or tent trailer is *so* expensive!
Hi Amy,
I'd feel better with a camper or RV, or at least an all-night fire to offer some protection from bears. We don't really have a place to build a fire in our yard. We're also several miles from the nearest places black bears have been spotted.
Hmmmm. I didn't know bears had come so close to you! I don't know that there have been any spotted here; that's strange. We have a little "fire bowl" in which we can build a fire.
My family went tent camping a lot when I was young, but I don't like it so much anymore. All the work I have at home and none of the conveniences! :)
You can rent a camper or an RV. :)
Barb, don't give Marie any ideas. :-p
Hi Barb,
Bears have been spotted wandering through exurban areas of the counties to the south and to the east of me.
I remember going camping as a child, it was fun. We went to Yogy bear camp ground I think, it was so long ago I can't remember.
I love camping! However, the DH will not stay anywhere without a proper bathroom, hmm, he has such high fallutin ideas sometimes...
Re: Bears. Have you read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"? Very, very funny.
I had to laugh at Plainandsimple's comment. I've never heard of the *husband* insising on a proper bathroom, lol! Considering the condition of most outhouses and public washrooms.....blech!
Post a Comment