Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tiresome Socks

With the current pair of socks I am engaged in, I have learned something about my sock-knitting self. There is little built in motivation to complete a pair of toe-up socks. There are no decreases to shorten the time it takes to do a row. It is harder for me to keep the end in mind. Maybe I like having less length to knit before I do all the work for the heel and gusset than keeping all that effort for after.

I was very excited to begin the socks, and it was the only knitting I brought to Florida. I was pleased to learn the figure-eight cast on. It was fun to try the foot on for size to determine when to begin the heel structure. The gussets were a bit awkward to knit, in my opinion. The intrigue of the lace pattern on the leg of the sock wore off last week and I needed to take a break and do something new.

I got out some WoolEase (less tiresome on the hands than the Deminstyle cotton blend I'm using for the lace socks) and I make a baby's hat-mitts-&-booties set. Sorry, no photos until I have mailed them off to the recipient:-)

The baby set was a joy to make--it was a wonderful change of pace to be able to finish an item in an hour! And it gave me the break I needed to gear up again for the lace socks. I finally finished the lace pattern last night and began the ribbing. I am so glad I made these socks together. If I had not, there surely would have been one lonely sock longing for its mate and one frustrated woman who was unable to enjoy the fruits of her labor.
The socks last week: The socks today:We also got more of this white stuff last night:Poor Quipper just called. It took him more than an hour to get to work. It is usually a 15-18 minute drive. In a short while I need to head out the same way for the Artist's Latin class. Hopefully rush hour will be over by then.

p.s. computer update -- who knows what happened? The Quipper re-installed the virus protection and things are running again. We threw our hands in the air and forgot about it. For now. The fan still sounds like a locomotive when the PC starts up, so we continue to test fate.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Those socks are lovely. One day I will get around to knitting a pair for myself. The snow was sort of unexpected this morning -- at least around here.

Babette said...

Lovely ballet feet, Marie!