Monday, October 15, 2007

Shrug

Over the weekend I completed the shrug I was working on. I ended up making some small alterations. First, I made the back drop closer to my waist than the instructions called for.

The instructions say to use an non-curling edge stitch. I selected seed stitch. Apparently, I did not use enough stitches in my edges, because they still curled as much as ordinary stockinette would have. So a second change I made was to knit a section of ribbing and attach it to the bottom edge of the shrug.

Finding a ribbing to use was fun. Just as I needed it, a book I'd requested came in to my library. I had a ball leafing through Knitting Over the Edge by Nicky Epstein. Soooooo many things to try in there! I fiddled with a couple before I found one that would suit my purpose.

Here is the finished product. It is light and warm -- exactly what I wanted. Here is a detail of the Mock Cable Eyelet ribbing style from the book. I'll be wearing my shrug a lot this winter.

6 comments:

Presbytera said...

Beautiful Marie and a nice match to Rick's! I look forward to seeing you in it this winter.

Anonymous said...

Marie. it is beautiful!! you do such nice work. Cant wait to see it.

Lotzastitches said...

Very nice!

Designated Knitter said...

It's beautiful Marie! I love the pattern you chose for the ribbing - very pretty.

Gina said...

That is beautiful, and the edging is just fantastic. I love it.

hakucho said...

The mock cable eyelet that you picked out is perfect for your shrug!! I took that book out of the library once and enjoyed looking through it...would be nice to own, may be someday :) Enjoy wearing your new creation :)