Friday, February 22, 2008

Oven Fresh

Mmmmmm....

This morning we are enjoying home made, whole wheat sourdough bread for breakfast. I have enjoyed learning how to make the bread and working with several variations. Today's bread features cinnamon as its new ingredient. The verdict is -- it needs some tinkering. I like the cinnamon, but it could be better if the whole loaf had some more sugar in the recipe.

This web site has been a big help, and trial and error have helped too. Lately I've been trying to make a less dense bread. Sometimes it turns out soft and delightful. Other times it is soft and mediocre. I might need to go back to using actual measuring spoons and keeping notes on how much of this and that I toss into the recipe.

The whole bread making experience is made most pleasurable by this one great tool. My grandmother's large stone wear bread bowl is old and chipped and all the more loved for its imperfections. It makes stirring up a loaf easier than pie.

3 comments:

Kirken said...

what about trying raisons or currents along with the cinnamon.

hakucho said...

I love homemade bread! Talk about old tools...I am still using grandmother's wooden spoons. They are old and stained...but I think that's the secret to making the food delicious.

Gina said...

What a great bowl!