It finally happened. That $30 we donated to the RNC ten years ago must have landed us low down on a poll lists, because I was called for the first time today.
I was not impressed.
Because I was preparing dinner at the time, the caller did not have my full concentration. She introduced herself and launched. She rattled off something to the effect of:
Do you believe it is important to stop the democrats and people like Hillary Clinton from becoming elected?
What kind of question is that? It is so insulting to be treated like a yoke and bit led work mule. Am I not capable of thinking? Of course she was looking for a yes (or no) answer. But I'm way past being merely frustrated with their R vs. D political games to play along.
So I launched. I doubt my missile hit its target, but I sure felt better.
Because I was trying not to burn dinner at the time, my answer did not have my full concentration either. But it was something to the effect of:
What is important is protecting our American freedoms. I'm not impressed with the way the democrats want to do that, and every day I'm less impressed with the republicans.
Apparently failing to reply with a yes signals the caller to drop to a part of the script down at the bottom labeled:
Lost Cause! Get Off The Phone Fast! But don't forget to rattle off a phone number where the callee can donate funds.
Am I supposed to be more impressed now? My nose hurts with too much holding it shut while I vote.
Friday, February 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Re: holding your nose, you could always choose not to do that...
:-)
We have caller ID and I refuse to answer any calls with numbers I don't recognize...this works very well :)
On the study I am working on, there is a portion that touches political beliefs and there is a question that goes like this:
Do you believe that it is good or bad for the government to make it so that everyone has an equal chance of success?
Then it goes to "somewhat good, good or very good?"
I SO hate the construction of that sentence, and I haven't interviewed anyone who hasn't said yes to that one yet...
The sentence puts its focus on that it is good that everyone has a chance of success, Lets try rephrasing it. "Do you believe that it is the government's role to take measure to ensure that everyone has a chance at success?"
a. yes, because I don't know my Constitution
b. because I don't care about the Constitution
c. No, because the government only can do that by sticking to its basic assigned roles by the Constitution and not taking over roles that are the responsibilities of the states and local governments (should their citizenry give them that authority), not to mention individual citizen, who are those who define their own success in the first place.
Okay, thank you for allowing me to rant on that one!! I've been ready to explode through the phone to tackle my interviewees who tell me their religion is VERY important to them, but they believe in abortion, are living with someone, and have 3 or 4 kids without being married, that they "strongly agree" that having children while cohabiting is a good thing (we have that question) and they never go to church (or they go to church all the time but still can do this!).
Aaah...all in the name of social science.
apparently my "s" key is not behaving today...sorry for the typos :)
Post a Comment