The Audrey cardigan is temporarily on hold. I have picked up all the stitches up one side of the button band, around the back of the neck and down the other side of the button band. And that is where it will rest until I can buy a pair of the correct size circular needles. At a little over 200 stitches, there is no way I can fit them onto any needles I currently own. I picked up the stitches with a needle one size too small, but I don't want to knit with that one.
So for three days I hardly knew what to do with myself! I read a little, and did some puzzles and felt that I missed knitting something awful. I checked my supplies again to be sure I didn't have another circular needle hiding anywhere. Nope.
Then I was inspired by Hakucho to fins some leftovers yarn and make a pair of footies. She has some lovely sock pictures posted lately using a heel method I've been hesitant to try. The one heel I've turned so far does not have the nice finish that Hakucho's photos show. I have some uneven gaps that I need to work on on one side and some ugly-looking wraps on the other side. Maybe I can fix some of that on the second sock. I know I'll be wearing these footies until they get holes in the soles anyway.
I had purchased a sock pattern from Cookie A last year, but I didn't, at the time, have the needles to make them either. I'm looking forward to the big challenge they will be for me. And then there is Cookie's 2008 to beguile me too.
Well, when I do get the opportunity to shop for that needle to finish Audrey I'll look for some buttons for her too. I'm curious to see what options are out there.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Glad you found something to do in the meantime while waiting for your new needles.
The short row heel is a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it...it really is easy :) I think I like it because there are no stitches to pick up... Oh ...and no grafting!
I've grown so accustomed to knitting on circulars, that knitting with straight needles feels so strange to me. It's good to have some 24" circulars for sweaters and thing that have a large # of stitches.
Post a Comment