Monday, May 05, 2008

Compost

For the last three years my garden has been doing more and more poorly. This year I'm giving it a year off, mostly. I'll probably have some potted tomatoes and let the kids plant something if they like.
To help with turning the tide I've invested in a composter. The tumbler information page speaks of compost in as little as six weeks. I'm very skeptical of that time frame, especially with the amount of grass clippings I have in the tumbler right now. Hopefully with the dry leaves I was able to gather this spring, the compost starter I added, and some hot, sunny days I'll be able to mix some good compost into the garden soil before the end of the summer. If a miracle happens and I do have usable compost in six weeks then I'll hope to give the garden two applications this year.

I'm absolutely tickled with the copper compost pail to keep in my kitchen. I remember a horrid, smelly plastic bucket mom kept under the sink that was always filled with mold. That kept me from doing any composting heretofore and made me an avid garbage disposal user. This pretty pail has not caused any offending odors yet, and it has been filled a few times. Having a lid and using a liner helps I think.

The copper pail has made friends with all the other copper accents in my kitchen.

5 comments:

Scott said...

very nice. Looking forward to the next step: Vermiculture!

:-)

What? No box-o-worms in the window sill?

Marie N. said...

Perhaps if we had an attached garage..., but no, I'm not going to invite worms into my house.

Kim said...

I have an ugly plastic tub on the front porch that we throw all our stuff into until it's full. I like your solution much better!

hakucho said...

That's quite the composter. Looks like it will work great :) I love your copper pot. Looks lovely on your counter...much better than plastic :)

Genuine Lustre said...

I always wanted one of those tumbler deals. Let us know how it works.

Our food scraps go to the chickens. I have a yucky bucket under my sink -- mold free, but still kind of yucky.