Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kids and Casserole

Aren't children and casseroles usually dire enemies? When I make a casserole, usually once or twice a week, the "Dinner!" call is not greeted with cheers. Sometimes, I'm treated to shouts of joy and children full of excitement running calling "What are we having?" When I pronounce the sentence, their faces fall. One reverts to If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. The other whines and complains and is shortly given a choice of eating with the family or not eating in his bed.

What happened last night?

I was so impressed I almost got the camera out. Then I thought I'd better not draw attention to what I was observing, in case it should disappear forever.

I served my family a roast pork loin, mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. And this time I even disappointed them by not making the Italian breadcrumbs sauteed in butter to top the asparagus. Apparently they like the vegetable with or without the breadcrumbs.

As I was enjoying my dinner I noticed the Artist making a well in her mashed potatoes. I reminded her that I did not have a gravy with this meal. That didn't bother her a bit. She filled that well with slices of asparagus. Then she covered it over, hiding the asparagus. Then she cut her pork slices into bites and topped the potatoes with the bites.

Imagine her surprise when I told her "Oh, You made a casserole."

"This is casserole?"

"Casssserrrrollllle?" the Engineer inflects a question despite his chewing.

"Sure, you have your meat, starch and vegetable all in one dish." I refrained from adding If I'd thought to cook it that way we'd have fewer dishes to clean up. She is not yet responsible for kitchen clean up enough days of the week for that statement to have a full impact, so I'll save it for later.

The Engineer thought the self-built casserole looked like such a good idea that he made one too.

I wonder what we will be having for dinner tonight.

3 comments:

Scott said...

We don't have "casserole" but we do have "cheeseburger pie" and things like that. :-)

hakucho said...

I'm very impressed that your children eat (and enjoy) asparagus!! I love them, but I'm the only one in my family :(

Elephantschild said...

My kid will eat something new and "strange" if it's sold right.

Thus, we have "Black Cake" (she hates chocolate) and Meat Cake (that would be meatloaf) and Egg Pie (er, quiche)

She's informed me though, upon seeing pictures of asparagus in a seed catalog, "That's not something you can eat!" Haven't tried serving it to her yet.

"Buttered Spears" anyone? Any takers?