Monday, March 24, 2008

March Madness, Math Madness

We do not really follow college basketball too closely in our family. Rick and I were happy for Cleveland State when they had a good run this year, but we are not so invested that we were affected by their not making it into the tournament running.

Rick occasionally reads ESPNs website. I occasionally hear news and sports sound bites at the tops and bottoms of hours through the day. The Artist and the Engineer don't have much in the was of sources of information about college basketball. Although I probably should let you know the Engineer forgets very little of what he hears about sports records. (Getting him to understand that the team that has the ball is on offense. The team that does not have the ball is on defense. And it will change hundreds of times during the course of a game is more difficult to get across to him!)

Anyway, Rick had all four of us fill out brackets this year. Rick claims dereliction of duty because he went to sleep last night before recording winners on our bracket sheets. Don't worry, Hon, this duty is so far down on the list that it really does not matter.

But so far, Rick is doing well with 27 games picked correctly. I'm having some kind of luck streak, because I've picked 30 games correctly. I've never done better than Rick before with the brackets, and I don't expect it to continue. And I think it's funny that I've done so poorly in the Midwest, where we live.

The Artist is plugging along with 25 correct calls, and the Engineer has 29. Rick did allow both of the kids a mulligan. One of them chose Kent state to be the national champion, and the other had Kent in the final four. He warned them this was the one and only time they could make bracket adjustments.

So now, Memphis, UCLA, Louisville and Xavier, someone in our house is rooting for you to win it all! Go Team!

Math Madness:
What Engineers like ours do to amuse themselves during the sermon.

3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

No one in this house would make a doodle like that - LOL!!!!!!!

hakucho said...

Always good to keep those math skills from getting rusty :)

My husband ever since he was a little boy does a funny little math thing with baseball. Guess that's the way engineers minds' work!

Anonymous said...

that is one amazing kid!! :)