Monday, March 10, 2008

Shoulder Pads

Last night I made two shoulder pads for my still-buttonless Audrey cardigan.

After looking at some patterns on the web (Thank you Gina in LaLaLumay Land) I decided to venture out on my own and make some similar to those I'm used to wearing. I think I buck the current trends (imagine that!!!) and I actually prefer shoulder pads.

I experimented a few times and came up with a design that I can fold in half to get double thickness.This approaches the thickness I'll need to achieve.
Tonight I hope to tack them in place and check the fit. After that I may decide that I'd like them better a little firmer. If that is the case I'll remove them, felt them and then sew them back into place.

I'm testing a tiny felted swatch to see how it might hold an arched shape when it is dried. The poor thing does look a bit like it is being tortured. On the other hand this photo captures the actual color of the yarn better than any I've posted yet. If I do felt the shoulder pads I can block the fabric onto an old favorite pair of shoulder pads hiding in the back of my sock drawer. They'll look like a pair of frightened blue porcupines while drying.

2 comments:

Gina said...

A felted hors d'oeuvrs!

hakucho said...

Good idea making your own. Personally i don't like shoulder pads. I always cut them out :(
Hope it work out well for you :)