Friday, August 15, 2008

Brussel Sprouts

When Rick was out of town the kids and I had a chance to try the caramelized brussel sprouts the Rebellious Pastor's Wife wrote about here.

It is a winner! The Artist and I loved them. The Engineer decided not to try them in favor of the other vegetable that night. For once, I let him get away with not trying. That meant there were more for the Artist and me! Seriously, though, I'm very proud of the Engineer for his sudden willingness to try new foods countless times over the last couple of months.

I do not have any coconut oil at home, but I have plenty of butter. I also have olive and sesame oils. For this recipe I chose the butter and a little sesame oil. When the sprouts were browning nicely I removed some from the pan to give others more contact with the pan surface. It was tempting to eat them straight away!

Because of using the sesame oil I omitted the lemon juice sprinkling at the end.

In the past I've taken advantage of Rick's business trips to serve brussel sprout soup or steamed brussel sprouts. Those were usually just for me. I'm pleased the Artist likes the caramelized version too.

2 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

This is a favorite veggie at our house - we call them Baby Cabbages.

RPW said...

Glad you like them!

The lemon juice probably would still be good with the sesame oil (nice thought!) and the original recipe did call for butter.

But what I have also found with the lemon juice is that it just seems to freshen the flavor. The biggest benefit is it keeps them from wilting and getting icky as they cool. I never would've figured that, but it does!