Months before, Rick and I knew the Artist was one of those selected to give a speech. She took the news in stride when we told her about it.
A few weeks ago over dinner we asked the Artist what she would like to say about her Papa. She came up with several items which I jotted into a bullet point outline. When we were done eating, she created the sentences around those bullet points.
Here's what she had to say:
My Papa is my pastor. I like seeing him on Sundays, and I enjoy listening to his sermons, even though I do not always understand some things. Sometimes it helps me in situations, like when I get the creeps from reading a spooky book, I think about something Papa said in church about God, and that helps me go to sleep. Grandfathers should always help their grandchildren go to sleep.
I am happy Papa is my Latin teacher; I enjoy seeing him on Wednesdays when we have class. I like how he answers questions in class: instead of giving us the answer, he helps us figure it out. Sometimes he makes class funny. For example, the class translated "Dux proelium ferum spectabat" into "The general was watching the fierce battle," and Papa said, "Of course he was watching the battle; he couldn't sleep with all the noise!"
When I visit Papa's house, he always seems to know what I would like to do. He gets me interested in things, like a picture history book we looked at once. He shares movies with me, like Narnia movies and My Dog Skip. He always has a treat for Nathan and me, and sometimes he takes us out to eat.
I am happy that Papa is my grandpa. Thank you for being such a big part of my life.
Finis


No comments:
Post a Comment