Friday, August 08, 2008

Tribe Memory

While diving into some much needed cleaning of my office that dark room in the corner of the basement where I store stuff, I uncovered some Tribe memories.

I thought I spied a fallen roll of gift wrap on the floor of the closet I was cleaning. Closer inspection showed the paper was wrapped in plastic.

"A new roll?" I wondered if it was generic or Christmas or floral or masculine.

As it turns out, 'twas none of those, but something better. I'd relocated a poster from the Cleveland Indians centennial season. Nice! It must have been a premium at the ball park, because it is not the sort of thing I'd spend money on. What a nice thing to decorate a boy's room with, though. Wheels are turning in my mind. Imagine how it would coordinate with these curtains on the Engineer's window!Later, in another part of the extremely cluttered room I found three of these posters. I remember receiving them last year when we exited the then called Jacob's Field after the division-clinching game. I guess it really has been a very long time since I've cleaned this room. As we were handed them I remember wondering what happens to the thousands of posters ball clubs print in preparation for this day and then the team loses that last opportunity to clinch?

I re-rolled all the posters together, keeping them in one place this time. Perhaps when the Engineer outgrows the kites and airplanes decorating his room now he will enjoy a sports theme. He loves baseball, and hates to miss an Indians game. I am a little worried though. Twice this week he sought me out to tell me, "Seriously, Mommy, I like the Cubs." And a few days later, "I seriously like the Cubs, Mommy." Both times he had such earnest in his voice and on his face.

No comments: