Me too. This post card came in the mail last week.
It's immediate effect was a tired sigh and great sadness for a population that needs to be entertained all the time. Are coffee houses on the 'church' campus not enough any more? As if the front of the mailer were not sad enough, the reverse is down right depressing. I thought better of scanning my name and address, but the head shaking, hand wringing text I will quote. All the words from the postcard are bold to distinguish from my grumbling commentary.
"Church in a theatre? Yep! No formalities here. Grab a bag of free popcorn and check out Momentum -- great people, live music, funny videos, and attention grabbing topics that will speak to your soul. Mo engages all five senses. How? Well, it doesn't hurt that we meet in an auditorium that smells like butter..."
I don't know why they end with the ellipses. Could it be they were not entertained enough in English class? But let me continue with the text.
"[Momentum] might hold services in a theater,but it works!" -Mark Holan, The Sun Courier
No perfect people allowed! // No one stands alone! // No making out in the back row!
Was I supposed to laugh there? I'm not the least bit amused. I do want to tie up my tennis shoes so I can run. The other way.
And in bright orange at an off set angle we have
A church for people who hate going to church.
And I am to
Consider yourself invited...
Sundays 10:00 a.m.
@ (the local cinema complex)
Our next sermon series is "Momentum at the Movies" (Did they print a bad six letter s- word there?)
September 7 - October 5
Read more about it at
and then they include their website.
I don't suppose the six letter s- word will contain any condemnation of sin. I don't suppose the blood shed in Christ's atoning sacrifice will be mentioned. I believe it will be proclaimed that if you come back next week, and keep coming back, you will be on the right path.
I also believe the only benefit people will leave with is butter stains where they wiped their fingers on their jeans.
At first Rick thought we were put on the mailing list as a joke. But the spelling of the name makes me believe this was instead a mass mailing to the whole community.
I can turn a bit of a joke on him though. I saw that they are holding band auditions. If work and Hurricane Gustav were not causing him so much grief right now he might think that is funny.


7 comments:
All the senses, eh?
Why didn't anyone think of that before now???
And the elipsis...
Everyone uses them now... It shows pause... Yes... they are overused... but what are ya gonna do...?
;-)
Oh boy...
I just watched this video.
It tells more about their church than they think.
So incense is too Roman, but popcorn smells are ok.Is this an LCMS thing? I think I read about it somewhere - the Reporter?
Like my grandma would say--"for shame!"
Ach! Marie!
This place reminds me 100% of the "International Church of Christ." Everything I've seen so far is carbon copy, and that group had cult tendencies. I had a good friendship ruined by a "church" like this one.
Deep breaths...walk away... Use more ellipses...
Hi Polly,
No, This doesn't claim any Lutheran connection. They say they are non-denominational on their FAQ page.
Sorry, Scott...
I use ellipses all the time, but then I pause mid-sentence in a lot of my RL conversation also.
I am way too guilty regarding the elipses....(and parenthetical statements, too) But I am reforming...slowly (LOL) I love irony.
We've had a church doing the movie theater thing here in Fort Wayne for a while. But they don't play it up like that.
Epic Church (the famed sex series LCMS church in Michigan) did the "@ the movies" series last month. I saw it on their blog.
They just mass market the theme and the media for it (powerpoints, presentations, and cool, copyrighted graphics) and circulate it out. Blech. Their own little pericopal system.
Post a Comment