This summer the Artist has been working with a typing tutorial I found on the internet. I looked at several and she tried three different typing websites before we settled on the one that worked best for us.
I like Free Typing Game dot net (the green option in the middle of the page) because it has more than lessons that make clear which fingers should be striking which keys. This program is different in that it allows the user to adjust goals for the lessons. The Artist chooses from a drop down menu which of the 30 lessons she will practice. Then she selects her word per minute goal from another drop down menu.
New keys are drilled as they are introduced, then a review is given. I like that the reviews use real words as much as possible. The program encourages speed and accuracy in that it gives the user an adjusted WPM score after factoring in errors at the conclusion of each lesson. And as a bonus for home schoolers who keep track of such things, each lesson has a certificate that can be printed out upon completion. The certificate lists the lesson, who took the lesson, the date and the results.
Soon the Artist will be clicking on the companion program, Free Typing Tests (the blue option on the right in the link above). The tests review letter combinations and numbers in detail. And finally the student is ready for test 26 in which classic tales are typed and graded for speed and accuracy.
Monday, August 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I often think typing was the most useful class I took in high school.
Glad you gave the site -- we will be making use of this for the upcoming school year. I never took a typing class and I regret it.
Check out www.RankMyTyping.com I think you will like it better.
Post a Comment